What was your dream to achieve when you started this business?
When I started designing and sewing my first Lorna Jane garments 23 years ago, my dream was simple: I wanted to spend more time doing what I loved to do – making activewear that made women feel alive! I was teaching aerobics part-time while selling custom-made leotards to the women in my classes.
As my designs continued to increase in popularity, I decided to start making activewear full-time and in 1993 I opened my very first Lorna Jane store in Brisbane, Australia. Today we have 150 stores across the world and I almost have to pinch myself to know it’s real.
What are the first things you would advise people to do if they want to lead a healthier life?
Commit to making every day count towards a happier, healthier and fitter you by embracing Active Living today. Active Living is about getting more out of your life by giving more of yourself every day. It’s not about how many push-ups you can do or the amount of weight you can lift but squeezing every last drop out of life and being the very best version of yourself.
You can achieve a healthy, fulfilling and positive life through my daily practice of Move Nourish Believe. Simply put, promise to move your body every day (even if it’s just a 30-minute walk), nourish from the inside out with wholesome food, and believe anything is possible with a little hard work.
“Active Living is about getting more out of your life by giving more of yourself every day… squeezing every last drop out of life and being the very best version of yourself.”
How do you find balance in your own crazy busy life?
I love what I do. This simple truth makes finding balance so much easier. When you allow your passion to become your way of life, it won’t matter whether you are working in the office or spending time at home.
For me, I’m passionate about health and fitness and I’m constantly learning about both subjects. I love discovering new recipes, I love collecting inspirational quotes, I love exercising daily and I love designing activewear. I have truly created a life filled with purpose and I find myself waking up every morning with enthusiasm, ready to see what lies ahead.
What does it mean to you (and to the brand Lorna Jane) to be healthy? How do you define that?
I’m always looking to the women wearing Lorna Jane to define what it means to be fit. These modern women embody health and athleticism and they show the world that their strength is not determined by age or dress size. I have confidence that Lorna Jane women are paving the way towards a stronger, happier, and healthier future across the world.
What do you think women look for most in their workout clothes?
I believe as women we are all looking for the same thing – fashionable activewear that makes us feel confident and excited to get the most out of our workout. Most importantly, as our lives become even busier, we want activewear that is versatile and stylish enough to wear at any time of our day, from dropping the kids at school to a lunchtime meeting or an afternoon yoga class.
There is such a positive, empowering atmosphere in Lorna Jane stores – tell me why that is important to you?
Our Lorna Jane in-store experience brings my Active Living philosophy and daily practice of Move Nourish Believe to life in an inviting, inspirational and empowering space dedicated to women. The purpose of our sisterhood is to connect with the incredible women who enter our doors, no matter where they are on their active journey.
“For me, exercising is the main ingredient in living a happy and fulfilling life and is a non-negotiable part of my day.”
What exercise do you most enjoy?
For me, exercising is the main ingredient in living a happy and fulfilling life and is a non-negotiable part of my day. I am a strength training and yoga devotee and love clearing my mind with daily walks. I have two strength training sessions per week with my instructor, I practise yoga three times a week and walk my puppy Roger every day (if not twice a day). I’ve also been doing a lot of hiking, especially when I visit our Lorna Jane sisterhood in lush and hilly California.
How important do you think food is to the equation of a healthy active lifestyle?
Nutrition is the foundation of our health and proper nourishment is just as important for your well-being as regular exercise. The key is to consume healthy and wholesome food to fuel performance, so it’s important to be conscious about what we put into our mouths. In saying that, life shouldn’t be about depriving yourself, so just concentrate on eating for vitality and good health!
I live by the 80/20 rule, which means I eat nutritious and wholesome foods 80 per cent of the time and I don’t feel guilty about having a treat once in a while (the other 20 per cent). The most important thing is to find a healthy food balance that works for you – one that allows you to enjoy the good things in life.